This Summer Intern License Agreement (this “License Agreement”) is made and entered by and between Northeastern University (referred to herein as “University,” “Northeastern,” “Northeastern University,” “we” and/or “our”) and the undersigned summer intern (referred to herein as “summer intern,” “I,” “me,” “my,” “myself,” “her,” “herself,” “him” and/or “himself”).
- In exchange for Northeastern University allowing me to temporarily reside in Northeastern University housing, and for other good and valuable consideration, for myself and my heirs I hereby release and forever discharge Northeastern University, its corporators, trustees, employees, students and agents from any and all liabilities, claims, demands, costs, and actions for injury, death or damages and/or other losses to me and/or my property arising from or relating to this Agreement including without limitation my temporary residence in or presence on property owned or controlled by the University.
- Further, I hereby indemnify and hold harmless Northeastern University, its corporators, trustees, employees, students and agents from any and all liabilities, claims, actions, costs and expenses (including without limitation reasonable attorney’s fees) of whatsoever kind and nature arising out of, or in any way relating to, my presence in or on property owned or controlled by Northeastern University including, but not limited to, any and all claims and demands respecting the condition of Northeastern University’s property or equipment or arising out of any personal injuries resulting from the use of the same.
- I certify that I am currently at least eighteen (18) years of age and have full legal authority to execute this License Agreement on my own behalf.
- I understand that Northeastern University housing includes all facilities owned or controlled by Northeastern University that provide housing to eligible summer interns and all other property owned or controlled by Northeastern University within such facilities.
Acceptance of the License Agreement
- To reside in Northeastern University housing, a summer intern must read and agree to the terms of the Summer Intern License Agreement at the time s/he applies for housing. By signing this License Agreement and/or accepting keys or keycards to Northeastern University housing, I acknowledge and accept all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement, including without limitation, the terms and conditions stated in A Guide to Residence Hall Living (the receipt of which I hereby acknowledge) and all other applicable University policies, procedures, rules and regulations (as provided or made available to me in any form) (the License Agreement, the Guide to Residence Hall Living and all other applicable University policies, procedures, rules and regulations are collectively referred to in this License Agreement as the “Agreement”). However, acceptance of the terms of this Agreement does not guarantee me accommodation in Northeastern University housing.
- A summer intern shall conduct him or herself in a manner consistent with and abide by the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- A summer intern is subject to license revocation and/or disciplinary action for violation of this Agreement. Any summer intern that is found in violation of this Agreement may be immediately removed from Northeastern University housing.
- If Northeastern University is required to obtain legal services due to a summer intern’s violation of this Agreement then that summer intern must pay to Northeastern University: (1) reasonable attorney’s fees, and (2) any other related cost, whether or not formal legal action is taken against the summer intern.
Use of Northeastern University Property
A summer intern is prohibited from using property owned or controlled by Northeastern University, including but not limited to Northeastern University housing and/or any/all mailboxes contained therein, for the purpose of conducting profit or not-for-profit business transactions and/or commercial enterprises and for all other purposes not expressly permitted by this Agreement.
A summer intern may not convey any of the rights granted under this Agreement to any other person. In addition, he or she may not sublicense his/her space in Northeastern University housing or under this License Agreement, or make any arrangement for anyone to take over housing payment or move into spaces assigned to him/her without the express written permission of Northeastern University, provided that a parent or legal guardian may make any or all payments required by this Agreement to the University on behalf of the summer intern. A summer intern residing in Northeastern University housing without the written permission of Northeastern University is trespassing and will be removed immediately.
Northeastern University will not be liable for loss or damage to a summer intern’s property or the property of a summer intern’s guest. Such loss or damage includes but is not limited to damage caused by fire, flood, accidents, burglary, theft, vandalism, or loss or interruption of heat or electricity.
Disclosure of Summer Intern Information
The summer intern hereby consents to and authorizes the use and/or release any information provided by or about the summer intern, including but not limited to information related to the summer intern's health, safety, well-being, or behavior, to Northeastern University employees or emergency contacts as Northeastern University deems appropriate and/or necessary. Northeastern University officials/offices to which such information may be released or from which such information may be received include but are not limited to Northeastern University Police Department, Disability Resource Center, University Health and Counseling Services, Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, Athletics, and Facilities.
Changes to this Agreement
Northeastern University reserves the right to make changes to the Agreement and/or its policies, procedures, rules and regulations as necessary in the interest of order, health, safety, security, discipline and/or for other educational purposes. The summer intern will be provided with notice of any such material change. Continued occupancy by the summer intern shall constitute acceptance by the summer intern of any and all such changes.
Eligibility & Availability
Northeastern University housing is open, subject to availability, to any individual who is at least 18 years of age; who participates in a structured internship, employment, or supervised research position in the Boston area and who is enrolled as a matriculated student at an accredited college or university. Northeastern University reserves the right to confirm the eligibility of any summer intern. For eligible summer interns, Northeastern University housing is available beginning May 21, 2017, and ending August 12, 2017; a 4-week minimum stay is required.
Payment & Cancellation
- Payments by a summer intern for access to Northeastern University fitness and recreation facilities, Northeastern University dining facilities, and/or Northeastern University parking facilities are nonrefundable.
- Upon the approval of a summer intern’s application for housing, Northeastern University’s Office of External Events & Conference Housing will send that summer intern a housing invoice stating that summer intern’s housing payment schedule, including his/her down payment amount, full payment amount, payment deadline(s), scheduled arrival and scheduled departure.
- A summer intern is required to pay, via credit card or check, his/her down payment to temporarily reserve space in Northeastern University housing. The down payment is nonrefundable, unless Northeastern University is unable to accommodate a summer intern.
- The University will only reserve space for a summer intern in Northeastern University housing until that summer intern’s payment deadline.
- A summer intern is required to pay, via credit card or check, his/her full payment by his/her payment deadline to secure space in Northeastern University housing.
- A summer intern’s submitted housing payment, less his/her nonrefundable down payment, may be partially refundable as follows, provided the summer intern provides written notice via email of his or her intent not to accept this License Agreement. The notice shall be provided to email@example.com and clearly state his or her intention not to accept any housing assignment from the University and this license agreement. Following receipt of such notice, the University will refund the stated amount of the submitted housing payment in accordance with the following schedule:
- 100% of submitted housing payment, less down payment, refundable with proper notification 61 days or more prior to scheduled arrival
- 50% of submitted housing payment, less down payment, refundable with proper notification 31-60 days prior to scheduled arrival
- 25% of submitted housing payment, less down payment, refundable with proper notification 15-30 days prior to scheduled arrival
- 0% of submitted housing payment refundable with proper notification less than 15 days prior to scheduled arrival
Northeastern University does not provide housing for married couples, spousal equivalents, or dependent children.
- A summer intern is assigned a personal bedspace in Northeastern housing based on all eligibility requirements, completion of a Summer Intern Housing Application, this signed License Agreement, and confirmed receipt of full payment; housing assignments are typically shared by one or more summer interns.
- Every effort is made to honor a summer intern’s request and stated preferences for apartment and bedspace; however, Northeastern University does not guarantee the type or location of a summer intern’s assigned apartment or bedspace. Northeastern University does not guarantee the accommodation of specific roommate requests or preferences. The cost of a housing assignment varies by type of housing.
- Northeastern University reserves the right to utilize specially designed accommodations at any time to provide for the residential needs of a summer intern who discloses a disability to the University.
- Northeastern University reserves the right to assign a summer intern to any vacant bedspace within Northeastern University housing at any time; whenever possible, Northeastern University’s Office of External Events & Conference Housing will notify apartment cohabitants in advance of such assignments.
- Northeastern University reserves the right to change a summer intern’s housing assignment at any time.
Northeastern University Housing Staff
- Northeastern University housing is managed by the following Northeastern University staff: the Director and one or more Assistant Directors in the Office of External Events & Conference Housing, a Program Coordinator, one or more Conference Coordinators, and a team of Resident/Conference Assistants. All such staff have the authority to enforce this Agreement in accordance with its terms.
- A summer intern must comply with requests that are made by said staff or designee in the performance of his/her duties.
- If a summer intern does not arrive to Northeastern University housing and check in with Northeastern University staff within twenty-four (24) hours of his/her scheduled arrival, that summer intern will forfeit any right to reside in Northeastern University housing, unless Northeastern University’s Office of External Events & Conference Housing has received prior notice of such late arrival.
- A summer intern is responsible for cleaning his/her assigned bedspace and the common areas of his/her assigned apartment, including any kitchens, bathrooms, and/or living rooms contained therein, when he or she vacates Northeastern University housing.
- A summer intern is responsible for removing all personal possessions, including but not limited to clothes, sheets, towels, pillows, books, food, toiletries, and trash, when he or she vacates Northeastern University housing.
- Failure on the part of a summer intern to vacate Northeastern University housing in accordance with his/her scheduled departure date will result in removal proceedings being initiated.
Any possessions left in Northeastern University housing by a summer intern upon his/her check-out or after the voluntary or involuntary termination of his/her License Agreement will be considered abandoned and will be discarded by Northeastern University. The summer intern shall pay any and all additional charges and/or costs incurred by the University for the removal of such possessions.
Keys/Keycards and Security Devices.
A summer intern:
- may not install any lock device that prohibits Northeastern University staff from entering or accessing property owned or controlled by Northeastern University; such prohibited devices include but are not limited to dead bolts, door chains, slide bolts, and lock sets.
- is prohibited from replacing, altering, damaging, or otherwise tampering with locks and/or other security devices, including but not limited to security cameras, on or for property owned or controlled by Northeastern University.
- is prohibited from duplicating and/or altering Northeastern University-issued keys, keycards, and/or identification cards.
- is prohibited from giving or transferring Northeastern University-issued keys, keycards, and/or identification cards to others, unless authorized by Northeastern University.
- shall pay for the loss, damage, repair and/or replacement of any Northeastern University-issued keys, keycards, identification cards and/or locks.
- A guest of a summer intern is a person who is permitted access by the summer intern onto or in property owned or controlled by Northeastern University.
- A summer intern must sign in any/all of his/her guests at the proctor station in the lobby of the housing facility each and every time that summer intern wishes his/her guests to accompany him/her onto or in the housing facility.
- All guests must be at least 18 years of age unless otherwise pre-approved by Northeastern University’s Office of External Events & Conference Housing; Northeastern University’s Office of External Events & Conference Housing requires at least one (1) week advance notice for all such requests.
- While on or in property owned or controlled by Northeastern University, any/all guests of a summer intern must conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this Agreement. The summer intern is responsible for the conduct and behavior of his/her guests while his/her guests are on or in Northeastern University’s campus system.
- A summer intern must secure the permission of all his/her assigned apartment cohabitants prior to having an overnight guest; no guest may stay overnight in Northeastern University housing for more than three (3) consecutive nights.
- A summer intern is permitted no more than three (3) guests at any one time; no more than five (5) guests may be signed in at any one time by the co-habitants of an apartment.
- A summer intern’s guest privileges may be revoked at any time; any guest may be removed from Northeastern University’s campus at any time.
A summer intern is expected to keep his or her assigned bedspace and the common areas of their assigned apartment, including any kitchens, bathrooms, and living rooms contained therein, orderly, safe, and sanitary. A summer intern will pay a reasonable cleaning charge if he or she fails to maintain a minimum standard of cleanliness within his or her assigned Northeastern University housing accommodation.
Repairs & Maintenance
A summer intern may request repairs to Northeastern University housing or report maintenance concerns to Conference Coordinators and/or Resident/Conference Assistants, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Repairs to Northeastern University housing must be completed by authorized Northeastern University personnel. For urgent matters, such as flooding and heating problems, a summer intern should contact Northeastern University Facilities Customer Service at 617.373.2754, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Northeastern University staff may enter Northeastern University housing, including but not limited to any/all hallways, apartments, bathrooms, bedrooms, kitchens, living rooms, closets, and lounges contained therein, to
- inspect and/or assess the condition of any/all property owned or controlled by Northeastern University contained therein, including but not limited to furniture, appliances, walls, doors, flooring, cabinets, and windows;
- repair and/or perform general or emergency maintenance work on any/all such property;
- show such housing to a prospective purchaser, licensee, mortgagee, or the agents of a prospective purchaser, licensee, or mortgagee;
- confirm or refute abandonment of the housing assignment;
- assess compliance by the summer intern with this Agreement;
- ensure or assess the health or safety of any person or the security of the campus, including but not limited to if the health and/or safety of residents are believed to be threatened; and/or
- as otherwise permitted by law.
When feasible, Northeastern University’s Office of External Events & Conference Housing/Residential Life will attempt to notify a summer intern, via telephone, poster, flyer, or written communication, forty-eight (48) hours prior to such entry by the University.
Prohibited Behavior, Conduct, and Actions
During the term of this License Agreement, a summer intern shall not engage in any behavior that (a) interferes with the rights or well-being of others, (b) poses a threat to the health or safety of himself/herself, others, or property owned or controlled by Northeastern University; (c) violates any provision of this Agreement. Impermissible acts and behavior under this Agreement include, but not limited to the following:
- defacing facilities, grounds, and/or property owned or controlled by Northeastern University, including but not limited to painting, making electrical or structural alterations, using nails, screws, or any material that may deface a surface;
- removing property owned or controlled by Northeastern University, including but not limited to furniture and appliances, from any facility owned or controlled by Northeastern University;
- removing property owned or controlled by Northeastern University placed in the common areas of a facility owned or controlled by Northeastern University from such common areas;
- entering or attempting to enter facilities owned or controlled by Northeastern University without proper authorization;
- accessing the ledges, roofs, and/or fire escapes of any/all facilities owned or controlled by Northeastern University, except in an emergency;
- going through the windows of any/all facilities owned or controlled by Northeastern University, except in an emergency;
- throwing, dropping, or ejecting any object or liquid from a window in or the roof of any/all facilities owned or controlled by Northeastern University;
- failing to provide proper identification when requested by Northeastern University staff acting in the performance of their duties;
- verbally or physically abusing Northeastern University staff or community members;
- occupying space to which others are entitled or assigned, or preventing others from occupying space to which they are entitled or assigned;
- constructing lofts or raising of beds or other furniture in Northeastern University housing
- using and/or possessing any/all of the following in Northeastern University housing: wireless routers; hoverboards; vaporizers and e-cigarettes; drones; space heaters, free-standing upright water coolers/heaters; candles, incense, and other open flames; shishas, hookahs, and similar pipes; halogen bulbs, indoor/outdoor decorative lights, natural Christmas trees, holiday lights, menorahs, paper decorations, neon signs, and string or rope lights; electrical cooking equipment, electric percolators, exposed-coil heating elements, electric frying pans, hot plates, outdoor grills, hibachis, and other open-flame containers; air conditioners not provided by Northeastern University, fog machines, weightlifting equipment, NERF guns and/or foam guns, and Salvia;
- bringing personal furniture onto property or into facilities owned or controlled by Northeastern University, including but not limited to mattresses, waterbeds, plastic milk crates, stackable storage containers, halogen lamps, sun lamps, and lava lamps; and/or
- interfering or tampering with elevators in facilities owned or controlled by Northeastern University.
A summer intern shall reimburse the University for all costs or expenses (including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ fees) paid, incurred by or asserted against Northeastern University to repair any and all damage to property owned or controlled by Northeastern University that arises from the acts and/or omissions of the summer intern and/or his or her guests. To the extent such damage or loss to such property within a shared housing accommodation cannot be easily attributed to one or more specific summer interns, all summer interns assigned therein may (in the sole discretion of the University) be held accountable for such damage or loss. Sample charges for such damage or loss include but are not limited to the following; Northeastern University reserves the right to adjust such charges based on market value of materials and labor.
- Chair (plastic) $75.00
- Chair (fabric) $240.00
- Broken Window $100.00
- Paint Wall $90.00
- Replace Desk $295.00
- Replace Bureau $290.00
- Replace Mattress & Frame $200.00
- Broken Door Glass $300.00
- Excess Cleaning $60.00 per resident/per hour (residence hall room)
- Excess Cleaning $100.00 per resident (suite/apartment)
Only a limited number of appliances approved by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) are permitted within Northeastern University housing. Use of permitted cooking appliances must be confined to the kitchen in units with a kitchen.
A summer intern is prohibited from falsely reporting a fire, bomb threat, serious injury, or any other emergency, or pulling a fire alarm when no fire or emergency is evident; setting a fire, including charring, burning, or lighting of papers, or any other act that could cause a fire, or possessing or using flammable or highly combustible materials; tampering with or misusing, either accidentally or intentionally, individual room or public-area fire safety equipment, including fire extinguishers, fire escapes, sprinklers, smoke detectors, exit signs, alarm pull stations, alarm bells, or hoses; failing to leave a building at the sound of a fire alarm or when so directed by Northeastern University staff; covering or obscuring lights in any way; obstructing any door that is a way of egress from a room, hallway, and/or stairwell; covering more than one-half (1/2) of an accommodation wall; and obstructing, in any way, windows that lead to a fire escape or paths to such windows.
A summer intern is prohibited from using, possessing, or manufacturing firearms (including BB guns) or explosive agents of any kind (including paintball guns). Fireworks of all kinds are considered explosive agents by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; they are illegal, and their use is prohibited. Massachusetts General Laws also prohibit the possession of nanchacku (karate sticks), switch blades, knives (other than kitchen utensils), starter’s pistols, ammunition, studded belts and bracelets, ring collars, gun parts, or other dangerous weapons or articles. Additionally, summer interns may not possess mace, pepper spray, or any other chemical propellant on or in property owned or controlled by Northeastern University.
Northeastern University is a smoke-free campus. A summer intern is prohibited from smoking or using any tobacco products on or in all property owned or controlled by Northeastern University, including but not limited to, the housing space, parking lots, green spaces and pedestrian walkways.
A summer intern must, at all times, keep his/her stereos, radios, televisions, musical instruments, and conversations to levels that do not interfere with others’ ability to study or sleep.
Animals other than fish and approved Seeing Eye™ or service animals are prohibited in Northeastern University housing. Fish are permitted in containers with a maximum volume equal to or less than 25 gallons.
Sport activities are prohibited on or in all property owned or controlled by Northeastern University, excluding recreational facilities or areas designated by Northeastern University for such purpose.
Northeastern University is not responsible for articles of clothing or other summer intern property left unattended in Northeastern University laundry facilities. Summer interns are prohibited from using Northeastern University laundry facilities, including but not limited to washing machines, to dye clothing.
Upon payment therefor, a summer intern may participate in a University dining service program. To redeem pre-purchased meals, a summer intern must present his/her Northeastern University-issued photo identification card at an open Northeastern University dining facility. This Northeastern University-issued photo identification card is nontransferable, is the property of Northeastern University, and must be surrendered to any Northeastern University official upon request. Alteration or use of this card for any unauthorized purpose will result in additional charges, disciplinary action which could include loss of housing privileges, and/or confiscation of the photo identification card. Food and related articles may not be taken from the dining hall, except as permitted by Dining Services. To prevent loss and theft, Northeastern University reserves the right to inspect or allow Dining Services to inspect knapsacks and bags at the exits of the dining halls. During weekends, vacations, and official closings, Northeastern University reserves the right to reduce the number of dining facilities to specified facilities.