Volunteering just 60 minutes of your time a week to read to a child makes a lifelong impact — in their life and yours.
ReadingPals is a statewide early literacy initiative that provides volunteer mentors for students from Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) to 3rd grade who may need extra help, utilizing one-on-one or small group settings. In Miami-Dade, ReadingPals offers volunteers an opportunity to build meaningful relationships with preschool children. ReadingPals volunteers help children improve their social-emotional development and early literacy skills through interactions with two children 3 – 5 years old.
WHY IS READINGPALS IMPORTANT?
45% of children in Florida are not ready for Kindergarten and 43% of Florida students cannot read at a minimally proficient level by the end of third grade. Additionally, studies show that children with mentors are more confident and have fewer behavioral problems. Early intervention and individualized attention gives students the best likelihood of success.
READINGPALS THREE PILLARS
MENTORING: To build genuine and impactful relationships between students and our volunteer.
EARLY LITERACY: To improve students’ understanding of the fundamental building blocks of early literacy.
SOCIAL-EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT: To help students build a strong social-emotional foundation through self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills and responsible decision-making.
The next ReadingPals session will begin the week of September 23, 2019 and will run weekly through May 22, 2020.
ReadingPals is managed by The Children’s Movement of Florida and administered through 17 United Ways — with the help of numerous community partners across the state.
VOLUNTEER REQUIREMENTS: PREPROGRAM
- Attend a two-hour orientation training prior to the first reading session
- Complete and pass a Level 1 background check online through the Miami-Dade County Public School District. There is no cost to volunteers for completing this screening. Returning volunteers must update online profile yearly.
- Agree to read for 60 minutes on the same morning each week for the duration of the program
- Read with a set of four students for 60 minutes once a week
- Use provided books and activities that support early literacy skills
- Review ongoing tips and tools to be a successful and effective reader
- Accurately fill out an online timesheet
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the ReadingPals program. Please complete the application below.